Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Kia Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Kia Diagnostics/Repair

Last few days my emergency brake light and my battery light

Customer Question

For the last few days my emergency brake light and my battery light have been blinking.. I have an 07 kia spectra. Everything else seems to be running smooth... As of now my husband is driving and those two lights are now solid on
JA: When it comes to solving emergency brake issues, getting the right information makes all the difference. Luckily, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Just looking for direction as to what to do next
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: Not at this time no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.
From what you are describing here, it sounds very much like you have a failing Alternator. When these dash lights are lit, this is a common sign of a fault in the Charging System. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If my answer has helped you, please help me and rate using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.
Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Were there any other questions you had?