Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Will turbo failure cause any kind of engine damage/stress?

Customer Question

Category: Kia
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
Not normally, but it depends on how the turbo fails. If it was catastrophic enough it could send metal fragments through the engine.Do yours lock up? Stop providing boost?
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
Disclaimer:Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied. If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
At 90, 000 miles my engine ceased without any warning. I have every maintenance record and i only use Mobil1 synthetic and premium fuel.Turbo faled at 32k miles and again at 67k miles, i am the second owner and bought. Car at 23k miles
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
I would imagine that when the turbo was replaced/repaired that if it had failed to the extent of shedding off metal fragments that the repair techs would have seen it.Did the engine seize from lack of oil? Typically they don't just seize for no reason, but I've seen stranger things.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The oil light flashed on. I pulled over at the next gas station, less then 3 minutes. I checked the oil level and it was a half quart low. I bought a quart and topped it off. I proceeded back onto tge highway, less than a minute later the car died. I coasted it to the side of the road. I tried to start it and got a puff of burning electrical smelling smoke. I called a tow truck and got it towed to the nearest Kia dealership.
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
If the oil light flashed, but the oil level was still marking on the dipstick then I would say that the oil pump failed or something restricted the oil system. Let me see if anyone else has had similar failures. It's the 2.0l right?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I believe it is the 2. 0 4cylander turbo
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
According to the Kia tech line they aren't seeing common problems with these turbos or the engines. I couldn't really say what might have happened without physically inspecting it. I would be a little leary that maybe something was overlooked when the turbo failed in the past since you took such good care of it and the engine failed anyways.
Expert:  Jared D replied 9 months ago.
Did you still need help with this question?If not, please don't forget to rate. That's how JustAnswer compensates us for our time. Thanks!