internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Import car specialist for over 10 years.
63512786

P0102 and P1159 CEL codes. JA: Do you happen to have a code

Customer Question

P0102 and P1159 CEL codes.
JA: Do you happen to have a code reader or scan tool? What size is your engine?
Customer: Yes I used a reader at auto zone. 2002 Kia Sedona, 3.5L engin,e 140K miles.
JA: When was your last tune up?
Customer: Just had the plugs and wires changed for a miss fire on cylinder three. All coil packs also replaced within last year. I'm going to change air filter and clean the MAF sensor to see if it helps with code 102 but need assistance with the 1159?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  internal88 replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I'm Matt - Kia tech.2 common codes for the early model Sedona.102 code is due to a bad mass air flow sensor. You need to replace it with a factory Kia sensor using only factory air fitler trust me don't use aftermarket.1159 code is due to bad Variable Intake Motor. The (VIS) is a secondary set of throttle plates in the upper intake plenum used to increase low end torque while maintaining high rpm performance. The (PCM) uses a Variable Intake Motor (VIM) to control the opening and closing of the additional throttle plates called the Intake Control Valve (ICV). At low RPM the (ICV) is closed and as RPM increases, it is opened a specified amount for optimum airflow.
Please rate me positive, thank you!