Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

2001 Kia Sportage. Driving down the high and my speedometer

Customer Question

2001 Kia Sportage. Driving down the high and my speedometer stopped working. I am getting code P1500?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for you question,This trouble code(P1500) deals with vehicle speed sensor for sensing the speed, which is needed for ride improvement, anti-dive, anti-squat and high-speed stability. Are you able to do some testing If I send you the steps?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got a P0501 as well
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
I suspect you have a failing speed sensor but I would run the test steps to be sure. See the test steps in the link below, run the test steps of the P0501 first. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the steps.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P0501%20May%2019.pdfhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/P1500%20May%2019.pdf
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have power and ground at the connector when its in gear and wheels moving. How do I check the signal coming out of the harness?
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
Are you seeing the signal on your scanner with the wheels moving?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Stays at 0 mph
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
on the scanner
Expert:  Ron replied 6 months ago.
That sounds like a bad sensor but I would run through the test steps in the P0501 steps I sent you to make sure your not dealing with a wiring concern.