Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Wheres randall cJA: Sometimes things that you think will

Customer Question

wheres randall c
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: need info on airbag module removal
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: might be, may send it out
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: no accidents car got wet one night windows open next day airbag light came on,sometimes i drive it awhile and it goes off and is off all day next day it is back on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, what model and year Kia is this?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2005 KIA SEDONA
Alright, was there water filling up on the floor or just the seats got wet?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
some on the floor damp, dried out in a couple of days
Ok, what probably happened is the passenger side has a sensor in the seat to tell if there is someone there or not. It is likely that the sensor got ruined. The air bag module is under the center console near the firewall so I doubt that it got wet, you shouldn't even waste your time removing it. Get the vehicle scanned for codes and see if there is a code for the seat sensor.If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no scan i have my own shop available and kia wants 100+ just to scan it i won't give them anything as i always have had bad results with them, rather replace what you are telling me, is there a way to bypass that sensor in the seat to test if light goes out. and since i am selling this vehicle i do want the air bags functional.
There is no way to bypass it, you can replace it but you will have to get the part from the dealer, and you will have to have the dealer learn it after you replace it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
see why i dislike kia dealers, there in cahoots with manufacturers tho they dont want to be, i bet if i brought this to kia the repair bill would be near 1000 dollars to fix the light problem.
Well all dealers are run by the manufacturers, they have to be. But yes it will be expensive, the sensor itself is a few hundred if I remember correctly.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how about if i could find a replacement seat assembly would that work if all other thing are functional? a seat is still cheaper than kia, or would kia still have to learn it?
A replacement seat should work yes. They would probably still need to learn it yes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
are the 2 front seats my only concern, i dont believe row 2 or 3 have sensors correct
It is only the passenger side front that has a sensor
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok cool please hang on
ok
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
say andrew can you call me at(###) ###-####or i can call you at any number you want promise it wont be 10 mins.
Unfortunately I can't call right now, would you like me to open this up to other experts?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no you have done just fine i would like to close this with a
phone call
Ok well I won't be able to do a phone call unfortunately.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
gee they offer that at the bottom of the page, i dont mean to be presumptive is there a reason why?
They do, you can request it but I do not have to accept and I can open it to other experts. I'm at work currently.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
could you hook me to another expert, sorry did not mean to bother you at
work
Sure, no problem