Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.

2012 optimum displays battery discharge warning but wont

Customer Question

hello 2012 optimum displays battery discharge warning but wont start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That is all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if possible
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: putting key in the holder checking battery cables andfue
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: fuel level
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: no
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. In allot of cases this warning will come up with a weak or dead battery and cause this issue here.If you have not tried a battery recharge or proper jump start I would see if the vehicle then starts and runs.If it does then the battery needs tested (a local parts store can test it at no charge to you) to see if it needs replaced.I would have a battery drain/draw test performed as well with a multi meter to see if there are any electronics in your model causing a battery drain as the vehicle sits.I have a procedure on how to test this here if you want me to post it just let me know. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete