mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

Car seems to run well but check engine light came on and tach

Customer Question

car seems to run well but check engine light came on and tach seems to have died
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: drove car and when i was almost home I stopped. Got abck in car and it started with a slight protest. Drove car engine light came on tach went to 0 and stayed that way all the way home
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: hoping to get to midas monday am and get it fixed car just got new electric coils
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  mike switzer replied 5 months ago.
sounds like either the cam or crank sensor has gone bad. when one goes out the computer will use the other one to run the engine off of. and the crank sensor is the main one used to run the tach as well. if you have no other questions i would appreciate if you took a moment to leave me a rating as this is how we are given credit.