Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

We have a 2009 Kia Sportage with 88,000 miles. V6 4x4

Customer Question

Hello, we have a 2009 Kia Sportage with 88,000 miles. V6 4x4 Automatic. The vehicle has codes p1500+p1765 and the esc light is on. We found the Abs module was fill of brake fluid in the plug so we replaced the complete unit with a good one we had in stock and we also swap out the main speed sensor. We reset the entire computer system but the light has come back on. I forgot to mention all 4 wheel speeds are reading 150 mph as soon as you turn the ignition on. Never changes. :(
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: Yes p1500+p1765
JA: Huh?
Customer: P1500 AND P1765. 2 different codes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes if the problem is plug and play
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Pearl, I explained everything in my first paragraph. :)
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: Hello, we have a 2009 Kia Sportage with 88,000 miles. V6 4x4 Automatic. The vehicle has codes p1500+p1765 and the esc light is on. We found the Abs module was fill of brake fluid in the plug so we replaced the complete unit with a good one we had in stock and we also swap out the main speed sensor. We reset the entire computer system but the light has come back on. I forgot to mention all 4 wheel speeds are reading 150 mph as soon as you turn the ignition on. Never changes. :(
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 7 months ago.
Hello, so P1500 is Vehicle Speed Sensor Circuit. Basically it can either be a wiring/connection issue, or the right front wheel speed sensor. P1765 is a CAN code for communication between the ABS module and the 4WD module. Since you have already replaced the ABS module, and I'm assuming the right front speed sensor is the one you replaced then we should just look at the P1765. Start by double checking that all of the connectors are in good shape and fully seated with no backed out pins on both the ABS and the 4WD modules. The 4WD module is located under the dash in the middle, but you can get to the connector through removing the panel next to the gas pedal.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Andrew! I will start on this Monday morning. How do I reach you on Monday with any further questions? -Derek
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Andrew, by the way we replace the speed sensor on the transmission we did not touch any of the wheels yet. -Derek
Just get back on here, I'll be at work but I'll check as often as I can. Ok, check the wheel speed sensors also then.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Dude. Is the right front sensor usually the biggest culprit? -Derek
The right front is the one that the computer looks at to relate to for vehicle speed, the others are just for the ABS. Let me know if you find anything and we'll go from there
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Man, talk to you next week
Sounds good, have a good weekend