Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

Kia Sorento LX: My ESC light on the dash will come on and when

Customer Question

My ESC light on the dash will come on and when this happens the transmission goes into limp home mode transmisson lock into 3rd gear and will not shift up or down. Sometimes I can get it to clear by stopping the car and putting the shifter into park and turn the car off let it set for 30 seconds and then restart it again, It will sometimes fix the problem sometimes you have to let the car set for about 30 minuets after driving it to a place you can park and then it will work correctly. When this problem occurs the manual shifter mode will not work nor will the display on the dash tell you what gear you are in, does not seem to be affect the reverse in the way it acts.
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.
Hi. It is common on the Sorento for either the brake light switch, or the steering angle sensor to go bad and cause the ESC light to come on. Do you have a scan tool to check what code is set in the ABS module, and engine computer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the codes we found;
P1733 Rear Speed Sensor High Input, U0100 ECU- ITM Malfunction, P1739 General Position Encoder Fault, P0763 SCSV"C"(2nd Solenoid)- Electrical. There were no codes on the main computer.
Those codes are all over the place. From what I see, you may want to check into the rear speed sensors. VIsually look at them and make sure the wires are good. You can also monitor them with the scan tool and drive and see if one is not reading correctly. Otherwise I would say you should clear the codes and drive it. THen recheck the codes and see which ones come back first.