sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

We'll I have 06 kia rio and i am having a starting issues the

Customer Question

We'll I have 06 kia rio and i am having a starting issues the engine cranks, but one thing I found is there is transmissions fluid in the spark coils and spark plug housing. How do I fix that issue?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes I am a diy mechanic and a diesel mechanic
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: We'll I change the fuel pump, filter and checked all relays and fuse and the only conclusion i can come up with is fluid in the plugs and plug housing. I do not know if the fluid has reach the cylinders but that is where I stand at the moment
JA: Spark plug problems can be challenging. So many causes, some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with all of them. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If there was trans fluid in the spark plug wells then it would have been caused by someone physically pouring or spilling it there, but I doubt that is related to a no start condition. More likely you're seeing engine oil that ha leaked in that area due to leaking seals between the head and valve cover and the seals will need to be replaced.Does the engine crank but not start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah the seals around the plugs that are in the valve cover were bad but I agree. That didn't cause the no start issue. Yes the engine cranks over but there no official start of the engine. From listening to the fuel pump, they normal make a noise and i noticed that there wasnt. Now with the owner permissions it change the fuel pump inlet screen and tested the pump to see if it was a bad fuel pump. The pump works fine. Also the fuel filter is not clogged. There are all new plugs and two new coils. Due to the oil in the plug housings, which I change because the engine oil was sitting on the housing for quite some time. It actually began softing the rubber to the point it came apart in my hand. So I addressed that issue. But there is no starting. I have checked every fuse that can be related to this issue and relays i have even swap relays around. The timing belt looks great. No issue with the belt or missing or skipped teeth. and the engine seems normal when turning over other than not starting. I have cleaned every connector relate to air and fuel, and even every cylinder has compression.
Have you tested fuel pressure with a gauge?Have you checked for fault codes?Have you checked for spark?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Not a single code, pressure good, and spark is established
Has a fuel sample been taken?What is the actual fuel pressure reading?How was spark checked?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No i did not take fuel sample. For the plugs i just took a plug and cool out and ground out the plug and checked for an arc. Low 40 psi on fuel pump reading. I can not remember the exact number. But it was in the lower 40s
How did the problem start?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We'll the ladie said she has some issue with the starter but it turn out the battery terminals we highly corroded. I cleaned those. After that day the car ran great for two days. On the third day owner went to go to town and the car wouldn't start. And has not since
How was cam timing checked?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No i havnt checked cam timing How would i check that? On this car?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.
The timing cover would need to be removed to see if the timing marks lined up.Do you have a compression gauge?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh okay yeah the marks at in line. But I found something today now. Today I have no power to plugs and coils and to all of then. All the fuse and relays been checked anything I am missing? I did find that today my plugs are getting no spark at all
Are you checking for power at the coils while cranking?Do you have injector pulse?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes that exactly what i did and my meter said there was no power going to the coils. So I begin running my meter and check wire to see if I had a broke wire in the harness. What I found is this capacitor isn't doing it's job when i testing the capacitor with me meter. On my metter when testing the capacitor the reading on the housing did met with what I have saw in the meter. Would that cause my coils to not have power?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Did not meter the measure ments on the capacitor housing*
The capacitor's job is just to smooth impulses on the circuit as the coils fire.