Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2010 kia soul p0501 sensor repaired and everything reads correct

Customer Question

2010 kia soul p0501 sensor repaired and everything reads correct on scan tool but the code will not clear
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: had a bad wheel sensor did not read on scanner,fixed sensor reads correctly code will not go away
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes i have been a mechanic for 23 years,auto trans specialist for 20 years.i just need to know if with this particular dtc do i need to have the computor reprogrammed or does it have to complete a drive cycle because it has an expired tag since it wont pass emissions
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: used 3 different scan tools and disconnected the battery for 24 hours
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: all the lights on the dash that were on have gone off since repair except the low tire moniter light
\
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 12 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. The diag states to monitor the WSS wheel speed sensor readings in freeze frame data comparing them all and the speedometer reading. Watch for a hiccup greater than 3 mph difference. If you never see this difference then replace the ABS module. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It is not a freeze frame code, it is there koeo.no data with the code. No check engine light either. Just the fast code
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Everything works as far as the abs system also
So your saying you can turn the key on, clear all codes with a scan tool, re-scan again without driving or touching the key and the code is back?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Driving all systems are fine and no other codes pop up
Well that is odd. For this code to set you must:be between 1500-3500 rpmsload greater than 49%In drive or reverseVehicle speed greater than 0.6 mphYou have to do 2 drive cycles for this code to store.If the PCM is showing zero speed from the ABS module KOEO then the PCM would be to blame for storing this code.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Welcome to my frustration. I have used several scanners and even disconnected the battery for 24 hours along with dead heading the terminals for good measure. All readings koeo are at zero for speed and all voltage readings are in range
More like welcome to working on cars. Seems like I get a crazy one here or at work every 3 days. Since its a P code from the PCM and its storing under circumstances it should not. PCM replacement would be my next step.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I have always reserved replacing PCM as a last resort due to the many times in the past that it seemed to be the obvious choice and almost never fixed the problem
Well the PCM is storing the code and its getting this info from the ABS. Since both are showing zero speed when the code stores and the fact the code is storing when it physically should not be able to. There is nothing left to point the finger at.If there is something else you ant to replace the try I can provide the directions to do so, just let me know what you want to try?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do you have a schematic of the abs module and PCM with connector veiws? I am working on getting all data but I don't have it yet. I would like to test the signal at the connectors in real time since scanners are often slow and miss small fluctuations
Use the links below.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/ABS1.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/ABS12.pnghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/ABS3.pdf
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris