Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech

2011 Sorento SX - 3.5 L has 46k oil changes at dealer except

Customer Question

2011 Sorento SX - 3.5 L has 46k oil changes at dealer except for one at 5500 mi. with a KIA oil filter I supplied. Started making a lot of noise on startup, which I recorded on 3-8-16, last summer. I mentioned it to DEALER, THEY WANTED ME TO LEAVE IT overnight. So when it started leaking oil 3 weeks ago, I called the dealer and was told it's likely an oil control vlv. I added a qt. and 3 miles later it was empty again. Had it towed on Tues. (wrong. he meant oil press switch.) Tuesday: Now I was told it was an oil press switch and it would be done by the end-of-the-day. HA! When they opened it up - took off the intake manifold - the valley between the camshafts was full of oil that leaked out of the switch. Since the engine WAS CLEAN-NO SLUGE KIA approved a new motor. Since I once drove a new motor 300 mi on the turnpike at 55 MPH to break it in, I asked if the replacement motors are broken-in an I was told YES. So how do they do that since my new motor leaked out oil at the rear main seal?? Dealer had to pull motor out and put in a new seal. Now the car works pretty good; seems a tad loopy on start-up and s slight valve tapping but not the knocking of the bottom end bearings it had for about 8 months. Odd that it had lots of power and I didn't add much oil for all that time. Another 2012 same model that parks and starts up near my house seems to run quieter than mine. Does the '11 have mechanical lifters and the '12 hydraulic?
JA: Many things can cause a car to make those weird sounds. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I will be going back to the dealer
JA: OK! The Kia Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. There is a technical service bulletin pertaining to a new variable valve timing gear assembly and camshaft design for a rattle noise on start up after sitting for awhile. TSB number 140 revision 1 pertains to a new variable valve timing gear for a rattling noise on start up. I would start when you return to them making sure this was installed with the new engine. I would also make sure they are installing the proper oil filter See the bulletin on that as well.Copy and paste the link toy our browser to open and view it.