Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

Kia Spectra EX: 2007 Kia spectra. Speedometer works

Customer Question

2007 Kia spectra. Speedometer works for about the first 15 min. Of start and stop driving. After that, it quits and will not show any speed. Have replaced the cluster and that did nothing. What should I do? No engine light and when mechanic hooked up to the diagnostic port and drove it, he said it was showing speed on his device even though the speedometer was not moving. He said that meant the sensors were ok. Do I have a short maybe?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 10 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** am going to try my best to help you through this. Did you have the cluster replaced at a shop or did you do it at home? Was it replaced before or after the mechanic looked at it with a scan tool and determined that the sensors were working?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replaced the cluster at home. I got the cluster from a salvage yard and it is in full working order. The mechanic checked the sensors before I replaced the cluster and he suggested I replace the cluster since the sensors were registering correctly. I have seen elsewhere that the solution to this issue is by replacing the signal wire from the sensor that goes to the back of the cluster. Cutting it out and putting a new one in and through the firewall to the back of the cluster. My issue, who can do that for me? I have no idea how to do that nor do I have the tools.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also. With my old cluster still in, I was able to do 2 hours of continuous highway driving and the speedometer was working perfectly, but when I get into town and start and stop commute, it quits working.
Ok, thanks for that info. Are you not able to get accurate speed signal on the new cluster for that long or have you tried? What you're describing does sound like a bad cluster which is why I'm asking. I don't think that running a new wire is a good idea because the way this one operates is the wire goes into a separate computer and then into the cluster which is why he is able to read the information on his scan tool but the gauge may not be registering.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The new cluster is in now and does the exact same thing as the old one. The very same thing. So it has to be something other than the cluster. It works like it should until the car gets heated up in start and stop driving. On the highway it will work forever as long as I don't stop driving. When I start and stop again, it is dead but other Gage's still work on the cluster.
So, after some digging, I just found a recall involving this problem that I did not see before. I think this may lead you in the right direction. I will copy and past it in the next message.
-Description The new 2006 Fed. spec. and all 2007 Spectra automatic transaxle vehicles are equipped with a new A4CF2 transaxle. This transaxle does not have a VSS. The instrument cluster receives the vehicle speed signal from the TCM. The TCM receives the primary vehicle speed signal from the Output Speed Sensor, the back-up signal is the Input Speed Sensor. Finally the ECM receives a vehicle speed signal from the RH wheel speed sensor that is used if there is no signal from the TCM. To diagnose a speedometer problem do the following:1. Check for vehicle speed data from the ECM / TCM with the scan tool or GDS. If the signal exists there is a poor connection between the TCM and the instrument cluster.2. Check the circuit from TCM pin 53 through JC01 pin 16 to JC03 pin 25 to connector MF02 pin 15 to M24 / M25 pins 14 and 12 to instrument cluster M08-2 pin 5. There have been some reports of poor pin tension at the engine room junction box connectors JC01 and JC03.3. In a few cases there is a pulsed signal from the transaxle Output Speed Sensor to the TCM but no output from the TCM on pin 53. If you're sure the signal goes into the TCM and does not come out, a new TCM is required.
It looks like basically you need to remove the cluster and check for backed out, bent or loose pins in the main harness connectors. It also looks like there is a possibility of a faulty tcm.
Have you had a chance to look over the information I sent about the technical service bulletin?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did look over the information. I am also being told that in my vehicle, the speedometer gets its reading from the cruise control unit. Do you think I may need a new cruise control unit? I will have a mechanic see if he can understand all that was posted concerning the recall. He will have to try and test those things because I have no idea what any of that mean.
Sure! also have your mechanic come on here and talk to me if that makes it easier! Hope you have a great day!
Hi, just checking in to see if you had any need for my help.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Probably, yes. My mechanic is going to look at things tomorrow on my vehicle and I sent him the info you gave, I will let you know if he has other questions.
ok, awesome. Let me know what I can do!
Hi, this is Josh just checking in on the progress of your issue...