Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

My 2006 Kia Sportage has over 120K on it. I've had the power

Customer Question

My 2006 Kia Sportage has over 120K on it. I've had the power steering pump changed out 2x since last Oct. The 1st time was very obvious because of the incessant loud whine and then difficulty steering. It was changed out 2d time on warranty because of difficulty steering & mechanic couldn't find any other cause. Steering is fine so far, but the whine (not as loud as before) is still there. Can I safely drive my vehicle on a long road trip in this condition?
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes - I'm out of time and patience.
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: ok
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: Not at the moment - hopefully my mechanic caught everything else during this latest round.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Roy replied 7 months ago.
god evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist the pump fails for a reason. the whinning does come from the pump but in some cases, the rack and pinion gets contaminated with dirty fluid causing the pump to overwork and this will make the pump whine as it is working at full pressure to get your steering going. I suggest having it flushed first. if that does not help, you most likely will be replacing the rack and pinion assembly Roy