rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

My 2009 Kia Optima jerks very hard when taking off at times.

Customer Question

My 2009 Kia Optima jerks very hard when taking off at times. I have taken in to the dealer and they suggested cleaning the throttle assembly (cost about 150.00) which I did, but did the same thing on the way from dealership. I have about 50,000 miles on my car and have told them several times about this issue but to no avail. Steve Crooke
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I just want to resolve issue without putting money in to no avail.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: A friend of mine had the same issue with a Hyundai and spent 1700.00 on transmissions, etc. to fix and finally took to a mechanic that reset computer or something for $59.00 and fixed problem.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teachautomotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Pleaseunderstand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problemwith the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computerdata/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; wejust diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch thevehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going todirect you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please bepatient and permit me to do what I do best.I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. The guesswork needs to stop now. You first need to speak with the service manager and tell him what you just told me. It sounds like no one did any testing of you vehicle to address the problem, they only tapped your wallet with guesswork. The system needs to be scanned and ALL the sensors need to be tested.Thanks, Ron