Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

There is a whine when the engine is running it gets lower

Customer Question

There is a whine when the engine is running it gets lower during driving I was told by o e mechanic it was the alternator and another said the compressor which do you think
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When the car is ideling the whine is loud but gets lower upon driving
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No
JA: OK! The Kia Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: Power steering pump is a little noisey
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Sometimes the best way to tell is to take the belt off and spin the pulleys. I suspect the alternator to be honest, they tend to whine when the bearings go bad. One other thing to try is turn the a/c on and see if it makes the sound any different. If it does, then it's probably the compressor, if not, then I would still think the alternator would be the issue.Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.Thank you so much!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,I was wondering since I hadn't heard from you if you needed any more help with this?