Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Kia Sorento LX: My vehicle is cranking but won't start. Electrician

Customer Question

My vehicle is cranking but won't start. Electrician and mechanic have both stated I need to reset the anti-theft system. I own a 2006 Kia Sorento
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I DO NOT have a FOB for the vehicle, only one key.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 12 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. With the key in the run position is the theft light on or flashing?Any aftermarket electronics on the vehicle?Why did the mechanic not do the repair he mentioned was needed?Has spark, injector pulse, and fuel pressure been checked?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No theft light showing but I have no theft system on vehicle. Fuel pump kit, ignition coils, spark plugs l, belts, pcm, and starter have been replaced. Four electricians/mechanics have said the immobilizer/antitheft system are preventing it from starting. To reset do I have to take to dealer or is there a workaround?
Just because these parts were replaced does not mean they are working. Has anyone confirmed through diag what the engine is not getting. An anti theft issue would shut down the fuel pump and or injectors. The immobilizer light should be on if there is an anti theft issue. Look over the link below, you may be able to do a bypass ignition on/off sequence to get it to start.https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/immobilizer.pdf -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
That is exactly what is happening that the fuel pump is shut down. I do NOT have the original key for the car and there is no FOB. Honestly, I am NOT looking for a diagnosis, I just want to know is there a way to bypass the immobilizer/anti-theft without the original keys?
If you had a key that worked prior then it should still work. Did your key you have used to work?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Let me ask the question in a different way...if I have a remade key (not the master) that does not work and the immobilizer/anti-theft system is preventing the car from starting is there a work-around to override the immobilizer/anti-theft system? How do I get that system to turn off?
If you have a duplicate key made and the anti theft system is triggered, there is not a work around. You will have to have 2 keys programmed to the vehicle so one is the master key. This must be done with a diagnostic tool. You can try the prior link limp home override steps to see if this kw you have will start the vehicle once so you do not have to pay for a tow, though.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Will I need to have vehicle towed to a KIA dealership to get new keys programmed (assuming limp home mode is not working)?
That would be correct, if the limp home mode will not work with the key you have then the vehicle will not start. You would need to tow or trailer the vehicle to a dealer.
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris