mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

The hood release cable is not working. Is there another way

Customer Question

The hood release cable is not working. Is there another way to open hood on a 2006 kia sportage?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Can't open hood. First release for hood will not work no matter how hard I pull cable.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes. Battery is dead and would have to call toll truck to get to a mechanic
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Taking tire off But notice tire well was welded. Then tried prying hood open
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Kia Mechanic will know what to do. Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: No, just how to get hood up
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  mike switzer replied 11 months ago.
how does the tension feel on the cable when you do attempt to pull it? supereasy or normal like it is attached?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Kinda easy
can you see if the cable is attached to the handle itself?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No it is disconnected. But I can pull it.
okay so pulling on the cable itself is not releasing the hood either??
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No pulling it does not work
sometimes when this happens what can work is while someone is pulling on the cable and holding it if someone gives a few light but firm taps on the front center of the hood it will release. you have to hit it right about where the latch would be. also if someone pulls on the hood while someone else holds the release cable.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Didn't work.
it must have come disconnect from the latch itself and unfortunately the only way to access this if you cant see it through the front grill the only other way is from underneath the vehicle between the engine and the radiator.
i have attached a picture the latch has a cover over it so it may be hard to get to but the main release is behind the secondary release based on the picture you may be able to access it with a screw driver to release it. it is the dotted line in the picture. its not completly clear but it may help.