Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Well, Pearl. My 2011 Kia Sportage sunroof window opened

Customer Question

Well, hi Pearl. My 2011 Kia Sportage sunroof window opened today but wouldn't close, doesn't even sound like it is trying, just doesn't move back forward.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Kia. The Kia Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: A couple months ago it had trouble closing, had to help it by hand. Dropped it off at kia and they couldn't figure it out with the limited time I could drop it off. Tried it today and now it doesn't even attempt to close.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: at least get it closed so I can drop it off to get fixed
JA: Anything else I can tell the Kia Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: is this free? this feels weird
JA: The Kia Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
HI, I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question. Kia did not make these easy to close manually. There is an hexagonal hole in the motor that you use an allen head T-wrench to go into the hole and turn it to close the sunroof. Unfortunately the motor is behind the headliner and requires dropping the headliner in order to access it and manually close the sunroof.
Expert:  Eric replied 9 months ago.
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.~Do you still need more help?~Confused by my info request or answer?~Need more time?~Confused on how the site works?~Need more detail or a different explanation?If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Sorry for the delay. It started to move forward with the button randomly and I put some white lithium grease in the tracks and it now works as good as new.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.
HI,Glad you got it and have a great week