Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

Kia Optima SX Turbo: Will the ecm from a 2014 KIA optima SX

Customer Question

Will the ecm from a 2014 KIA optima SX Turbo inter-change with a 2015 KIA optima SX Turbo; because the 2014 hp is 274 and my 2015 is down too 245. I want my POWER back in my 2015. I can really feel the lost power. Will the ecm of the 2014 plug right in and back my power?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 6 months ago.
Hi,The ECMs have to be programmed with your vehicle's information including vin and mileage and immobilizer code in order for it to work and you cannot reprogram used ECMs for this new of a vehicle. They are write once harddrives for the vin and immobilizer and mileage. As to using a new one made for a 2014 and have it programmed with your vehicle's information, that is possible, but the problem is that according to the connector pinouts, there are some differences, which means it wont physically work unless major wiring modifications are done.