Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 years as an automotive tech
7276279

My door ajar light stays on, even though my doors are clearly

Customer Question

my door ajar light stays on, even though my doors are clearly closed. its stays on when my car is off and is draining my battery. Is there a fuse that controls that?
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: 2011 kia optima
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: I am not sure since I bought it from a private dealer.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: It is dead! Yes!
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I originally tried to charge the battery but it died. I just bought a new battery. Do you suggest I put it in and see if the door ajar light is off?
JA: Anything else I can tell the Kia Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Sometimes I had to slam the door in order for the car to start, and I do not know if all the slammin may have set the door ajar switch
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.The problem you are having is in most causes caused by a failing door ajar switch as each door has one in it. In order to determine which switch has failed you are going to need to scan the system which should tell you which door is at fault and usually that switch will need to be replaced. In the mean time in stall your new battery and if the light remains on, pull your room fuse (10 amp) located in the interior fuse panel and that should shut the light off until you can get it resolved.