Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 yrs. Diagnostic specialist

I need to chane a pin wheel on the front driver side on a kia

Customer Question

I need to chane a pin wheel on the front driver side on a kia spectra 2005!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well a nut is trip do not want to come out and I think I will need to force that one out with a hammer and will need to change the pin wheel to.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Kia Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi I am helping a friend that have a Kia spectra 2005 a nut is strip and almost out but do not come out, I can spin it but can't pull it out. So I think I need to force it out and replace the wheel pin. How do I do things steps by steps?
Expert:  Randall C replied 6 months ago.
hello, what do you mean by pin wheel? I am not understanding what you are doing/working with
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the wheel stud sorry
ok, so you have a stripped wheel nut? wheel/tire is still on? what is happening, just the nut spins? I need as much detail as you can send
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The wheel still on the nut is almost out but not coming out, just pinning and not coming out. If I force it I will need to change the wheel stud, How do I force it and Change the wheel stud?
your options are very limited if the nut is not coming off, You can only use a torch to cut the nut off OR you have to use an air chisel to cut the nut off etc, There is NO trick to get a stripped nut off. In the shop? we have to carefully torch the old nut off, kind of splitting it in half, Using a chisel is an option, just takes a bit longer. Using a cold chisel and working at chipping away the nut till you can pry it off the stud, the once the rotor is off? the wheel stud is hammered out of the rotor. I wish I could send a simple fix but I can not, it does not exist, Sometimes an airgun with socket can spin it faster and may? come off but doubt it so,, either have to torch the nut or chisel at it till you can get it off,
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how do I remove the wheel stud and reinstall it?
Once rotor is off? then you hammer the old stud out the back, you may have to angle it a little, then get a new stud, slip it in place, use a lug nut and tighten the nut and it draws the new stud in place,. easier done with air gun, Little bit harder by hand but can be done, the studs are kiund of pressed into the wheel hub
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the wheel bearing will not come off when I remove the rotor is removed, correct?
no it will not, the hub and bearing are pressed together, You only slide the rotor off then you will see the hub and the lug studs,. the only way for the hub to be removed? the big nut in ceneter is removed and the whole spindle is taken off and put in press to drive the hub off, that is the part with the wheel studs see this [picture links
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you
you are more than welcome