internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Import car specialist for over 10 years.
63512786

There is knocking & rattling noise coming from the front

Customer Question

hello, there is knocking & rattling noise coming from the front end of the car, smooth roads or bumpy, the noise is the same. In additon to that there is a loud click or poping sound now that is also happening and i can feel tapping in the floor boards. if i drive 25 / 30mph it makes a loud woom wooom woom woom kind of sound. I just had my front brakes done today and the clicking and poping and "woom woom" noise started today. could they have done something wrong? i was told the knocking was a stabilizer bar, and control arm, then another place said it was shocks, then a 3rd place said it was tie rods and the final place said they have no clue and its not any of the above. im in terrible need of help. I dont know what to do.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Kia Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Anything else I can tell the Kia Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: its a 2008 kia optima, 55000 miles. i am the only owner and bought it with 1 mile.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Kia
Expert:  internal88 replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I'm Brandon Kia tech.Yes, it could be the control arm and stabilizer bar. However you need to go back to the brake shop and ask them to check out the sounds. Do not disregard the noise. They need to show you the brakes are OK in person.
Anything that has to do with the front end suspension needs to be taken care asap. This is very dangerous to drive the car like that.
An experience mechanic would know if is the suspension or the brake in a short period of time. They need to bring the car up on the lift to inspect it.Please don't forget to rate me positive!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I informed the place that did the brakes and they are trying to tell me its normal brake noise that happens with new brakes. I insisted that they were not correct and this is different and i know im not a mechanic but i really know that this is entirely different. they said they wont do anything about it and that i was incorrect. I had a neighbor listen and take a drive and was told that its definatly 100% not the brakes. Im aware of the control arm and stabilizer bar. but what is the poping and clicking now and the loud noise if i drive 25mph? it also sounds a little like really tough rubber stretching or something under the front. Could they possibly have put it together wrong? this noise is not brakes and its different then the stabilizer bar knocking noise.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Was my response received? Im not sure how this process works.
Since I can't really hear it. The control arm and tie rod has can create the same noise.
new brake could create a slight grinding noise but it goes away quick. You should not hear clicking and poping noise.Make sure the wheel nuts are tight and torque.