Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Kia Sportage: Can't get my 2012 Kia Sportage into park. Already

Customer Question

Can't get my 2012 Kia Sportage into park. Already tried the shift lock release. Can't get the key out of the ignition or turn the car off all the way to get my key out of the ignition. Help!!
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.
Hello, unfortunately it sounds like you need an ignition cylinder. Best thing you can do to shut the car off and get the key out is just keep playing with it, there is no sure fire way to do it. But once you get it out i'd get it towed to the dealership. We see this a decent amount. New ignition cylinder will fix it. Good luck.If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This is not an answer I can't get the key out until I can put the car into park. It will not shift into park. Did you not read my issue???
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That doesn't help me. This is a rip off. I need to be able to shut my car off. In order to do that I need to get it into park.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. Different tech here, would you like me to try and help you?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I said before my car will not shift into park. Will only go from drive to neutral to reverse. Won't go into park which means I can't get my key out of the ignition.
Your trans shift solenoid may be stuck applied. Can you access the shifter to visually inspect the shifter lock and to test it. See if removing the ATMK/LOCK fuse under the dash allows you to remove the key for now. A the shift lock. the wire colors are blue and green. Blue is power, green is the ground when the brake is pressed to unlock the solenoid. We need to see if the solenoid moves in and out when this solenoid gets this power and ground. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris