EricFromCT, Technician
Experience:  Kia Professional Elite, ASE A1-A9 L1 L2 Certified. 20 years dealer experience.

Car shut off after a small rattle seems locked..the two spark

Customer Question

car shut off after a small rattle seems locked..the two spark plugs are slammed from tip to contact like the gap is gone..mashed together. been clicking a little upon cold startup for a while.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Kia Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Anything else I can tell the Kia Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: not much else i suppose its locked up and /or timing belt issues also.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Kia
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.
Hi. What type of Kia is this? And what engine?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2002 kia rio 256thousand miles 2 timing belt changes small percentage off TDC
For tbe spark plugs to be touched like that there is engine damage. At the very least the timing cover should come off and the valve cover to inspect the valves for damage. If the pistons are ok then replacing the head should be fine. Otherwise a new engine is needed. Can you check any of this out and let me know?