Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

I have a 2006 Kia spectra. The a/c system has been freezing

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Kia spectra. The a/c system has been freezing up for some time, if you cut the a/c off for a while it would start blowing cool again after thawing out. Now it seems as if the compressor won't come on unless you jump the relay. Would this problem be caused by the thermocon in the dash? Freon amount is correct. I have already checked everything else I know of and I consider myself pretty knowledgable of a/c systems as I've installed complete a/c systems in vehicles in the past. This one has me puzzled, can you help? Thanks
Category: Kia
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 6 months ago.
Hi there.Most likely, you have a bad thermistor (see attached graphic). The thermistor will detect the evaporator core temperature and interrupt compressor relay power in order to prevent evaporator freezing by excessive cooling.Best Regards.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. Do you know where this part is located? I have read where dash removal is nessesary to get to it?
Yes, crash pad has to be removed to get the HVAC assembly out. Then the assembly has to be opened to get to the thermistor attached to the evaporator core. About an 8 hour job for a DIY'er including time for evacuating and recharging system.