Mike V.
Mike V., Technician
Experience:  I have 25 years experience working on cars. I am also a factory trained Subaru and Nissan Tech.
2921078

Engine dies 5-10 min. after start up while driving or just

Customer Question

engine dies 5-10 min. after start up while driving or just idling . After it dies you can hear clicking sound at engine compartment. Will start again after a few miniutes.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Kia Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Anything else I can tell the Kia Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Usully only happens on first startup of the day
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.
HI there,Is the check engine light on when the vehicle is running?What is the year and model of your kia please?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
check engine light is off when running
2003 kia sedona
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.
Ok, when you hear this clicking under the hood, can you turn the key on and see if the check engine light comes on like it should?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
yes light comes on
Expert:  Mike V. replied 9 months ago.
Seems like the clicking would only be associated with the car shutting down if it were the main relay or the fuel pump relay under the hood. I would try to locate the clicking in the under the hood box first and try replacing it. Some of these did have some fuse box issues in the engine compartment. This wouldn't really explain why it only happens during the first cycle of the day, but a clicking would have to be a relay. I assume the clicking stops when the car can finally be restarted. Since the check engine light is still coming on, then I think the fuel pump relay would be the culprit.