Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Key wont turn engine one. Seems to move slightly but nothing

Customer Question

Key wont turn engine one. Seems to move slightly but nothing further. Perhaps something to do with Alarm system
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: This morning set the alarm when I was still in the car. Alarm started going off and I got the alarm to stop but know it won't start
JA: Anything else I can tell the Kia Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 8 months ago.

Try locking and unlocking a few times either with the key fob if you have one or with the key in the driver door. If that does not work, unhook the battery, put the key in the ignition and turn it on, then re-connect the battery and try to start it. This should fix it if there is an alarm issue.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Didn't work. KEY simply will not turn in ignition. Tried to email this back last night but the website was so confusing. Not happy with this service.
Ok I'm sorry that you aren't having a good experience with the site. I guess I misunderstood your question. If the key does not turn in the ignition you likely will need a new ignition cylinder. We see this pretty often when this happens. It does not have anything to do with the alarm system. If the steering wheel is locked try pulling it to one side or the other while turning the key, if that does not work you'll have to have the ignition cylinder replaced.