Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

I have 2000 Kia spectra that is throwing up the following

Customer Question

Hi, I have 2000 Kia spectra that is throwing up the following codes:
P1800
P1121
P0604
Po763
P1780
As well as the code for shift solenoid c electrical, but this did not reappear after clearing the codes the first time
I suspect the TCM has gone out but just wanted to get your thoughts.
The car was previously running fine but died in the driveway while just idling
It cranks over fine, but when I started investigating I found that the fuel pump was not working and only 1 volt is coming out of the supply line. Checked FP relay and fuse and they are ok, but relay does not click when inserted back in its connector. It seems as though it's not getting the signal to activate.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have any repairs been done on your vehicle recently at all that may have caused this issue possibly?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HI, no, not recently, it seemed to be doing just fine, occasionally had a bit of a shift problem I assumed was due to solenoid c
But it just died while idling
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

And if you clear out all of these codes do they all come right back again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All, except the solenoid c code
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

These are circuit codes here.This can be a fault with the TCM itself needing replaced or possibly a wiring issue from the TCM to the transmission electronics.I would follow one of the diagnostic charts for these codes to see if it points to the TCM at fault needing replaced.Below is the flow diagnostic chart for the P1800 to follow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/90ydlxdz7v4ra0k/18-03-31.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfjgjubldpt2bz2/1800-03-31.gif?dl=0

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Pete, I checked the wiring visually, but did not see any obvious problems, let me follow these, and I'll get back to you, thanks a lot
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.I suspect you will most likely find a faulty TCM needing replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One, other question while I am thinking about it, if there was an electrical problem with solenoid c could it cause the TCM to go out?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

In most cases I havent seen this myself but it is possible it can short out and back feed damaging the TCM so it is possible but not very likely.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thanks, ***** ***** want to replace it and have it go out again, it's probably just do to age
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, sorry, but thought of one additional question, is the fuel pump not working because the ECM can't get the data it needs or was it shut off as a failsafe, similar to limp mode?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It may be a data communication fault due to the TCM failure here as this can cause other components like the fuel pump issue to keep from starting the engine to prevent any damage to any components in the engine or transmission.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** I figured
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,I am going to check the wiring today, do you happen to have a wiring diagram for the TCM and ECM?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is this a spectra GS or GSX?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, no problem, I do as well, it is a GSX
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteI was going to order another TCM but ran into an issue on the part number. the part I pulled from the car is identical to the one in the attached photo but the information I am getting is that this is for a sephia not spectra, can you confirm this?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The part number for your model is k2ab189e0b.It looks like the correct part number you shown here is the right part and it may be used on two different models.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cool thanks, ***** ***** know if it would have to be programmed to my car or should i just be able to install it? some of the vendors say it might have to be reprogrammed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does need to be calibrated with a dealers GDS machine after it is replaced.This has to be done in order for it to operate properly in your vehicle here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, cool, thanks. Did you get a chance to work on my request above for wiring diagrams?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I did now I apologize as we got into the TCM part number and didnt see the request for the diagram.Unfortunately this is a huge list of wiring that I am unable to post here.You can get the complete diagram of this model as well as diagnostic and repair info for a complete year at https://www.alldatadiy.com/.

You should be able to get all the wiring info you need there on this model.They do charge a small fee for it but its good for one year for all repair and diagnostic info including diagrams for your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem, thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, one additional question on this, if I was to get an ECM from the same car as the TCM would that allow me to bypass the dealer for calibration?I was thinking the reason it would have to be programmed to my vehicle is because it recognizes that its in a different vehicle because it gets that info from the ECM and if it was the same it wouldnt know it had been moved.This is just a backup car and I didn't want to put a lot of money into it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately the ECM would need to be programmed by a dealer to match your VIN here.If this is not done all other computers in your vehicle will have some issues and may not allow starting or proper operation.

Thanks Pete