Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have 2002 kia Sedona ex and a/c compressor went out &

Customer Question

I have 2002 kia Sedona ex and a/c compressor went out & attempting to replace it but have had 2 new compressors develop Freon leaks so out of ideas as to what could be causing this problem? high pressure coming from where? How to find problem?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Was the receiver/drier replaced?

Where is the compressor leaking - front seals, rear seals, or at the line connections?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The receiver/drier replaced. Both compressors were leaking in front seals of compressor.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, last question.

Did the mechanic flush all the lines, the condenser and the evaporator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He said yes as paid for this service.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, repeated leaking at the front seal is indicative of pressure buildup due to restriction in the system - either the condenser or the expansion valve.

This is what your mechanic needs to do - refill refrigerant, have an ac manifold gage set hooked up that reads the pressures on both the high and the low side. Turn ac on and watch the gages. If high side pressure starts going up, then it is the condenser. If the low side pressure starts going up, then the expansion valve needs to be replaced.

On this model, it is usually the expansion valve that is sticking. It is a pain to do and about 6 hours labor as it is attached to the evaporator inside the hvac housing. The dash MUST come out in order to access it and replace it.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay so where exactly is the expansion valve as see it bolted on side of engine wall by front dash? You are saying can't be replaced without taking the dash apart?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

As I stated, the expansion valve is connected the evaporator inside the housing unit directly behind the dash(see attachments) - the dash must be pulled to access it

Because it is inside the hvac housing box attached to the evaporator, there is NO way to see it, much less access it unless you pull the dash and then pull out the hvac housing box and take it apart.

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.