George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech

I have a 2005 Sorento that stalls out unexpectedly. Scanner

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Sorento that stalls out unexpectedly. Scanner indicates Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Input. Anything I can check out before taking this to a mechanic? Loose wire connection, etc.?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Vehicle will start OK and run for days then try to start it again in a couple of hours after parking for a short time and the engine light comes on, will not fire up. Wait a few minutes and it will start. Engine light stays on for a few days then resets. Thought it might be a loose gas cap 'cause when I remove it and reinstall it the car starts, the engine light goes off. Most frustrating when it stall out in rush-hour traffic.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Want to check for minor problems before committing to a major repair.
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: Not really...I've had the vehicle since 2007, Kia in Edmonton replaced the timing belt and there was a recall on a throttle sensor(?). No real problems other than this one.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 6 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

How long since the timing belt was replaced?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

And how many miles since then?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
About 100,000 km

OK, so it is due again.

What I think happened is the belt has shed some teeth and they are floating around the timing cover. The crank sensor has a vane that runs through the jaws of the crank sensor and if a tooth gets forced through the jaws it cracks the sensor which can make the signal intermittent.

Have the belt and crank sensor replaced and the stalling should stop.

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you