Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained

Name is, Having a knocking noise issue. Thought it was bent

Customer Question

Hi, name is***** a knocking noise issue. Thought it was bent pushrod or broken Piston rod, but eliminated both of those'
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Erratic hammering sound when the engine is running. Louder under load and higher RPM, softer at cruise or idle
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

What is the year make model and engine of it please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
2001 Kia Sportage, 2.0 liter engine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just looking for something more to check that may cause that kind of sound from the engine, have checked my 2 most likely culprits
Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

I see, thanks. They did have a bulletin out for a knocking noise when using after market oil filters. but not under a load. It sounds like it could very well be a lower end knock, (crankshaft bearing). Have you taken out any of the rods or mains?

Expert:  Jerry replied 7 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the bulletin in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it.