George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Certified and 15+ years as an ASE Maser Tech
13574682

I was pulling into a supermarket parking lot when someone

Customer Question

Hi Scott, I was pulling into a supermarket parking lot when someone told me I was losing fluid from my 04 Kia Sorrento. I park as the transmission starts slipping. Open the goon and see ATF everywhere and a HUGEpool of ATF on the parking lot floor.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: All I can see is ATF all over the underside of the vehicle. It looks like something ruptured and all the fluid leaked out.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Kia Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  George H. replied 8 months ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

For that much fluid it should be in the cooler system. There are rubber hoses from the transmission cooler pipes to the cooler and those are up front. If you see it dripping just behind the bumper that should be what it is.

The other possibility is that a drive axle came out of the transmission. If that happens you should hear noise from the axle.

The cooler line is a few hundred to repair, the axle would be several hundred.

You will need to tow it to where it can be inspected and repaired it cannot be driven.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you