Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 2006 kia sedona that will not shift out of park.

Customer Question

I have a 2006 kia sedona that will not shift out of park. When the brake pedal is pushed the brake lights do light up. We have tried the shift lock release and it still isnt working.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. We need to remove some trim to get into the shifter to perform some testing, is that something you can do?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
trim is removed and ready.

Super, below are 2 links, one of the shifter dis-assembly if needed and the other for the shift lock circuit.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/sedonashifter.pdf

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/sedonalock.pdf

At the ATM on the shifter. Verify the pink wire is power with the key on. Verify yellow is power with the brake pressed. Verify white is ground. If those are good and the solenoid does not move when pressing the brake with the key on then the ATM is faulty.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the trim is removed and i can see the shifter mechanism

Did you see my response 6 minutes ago after you told me the trim was already removed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
im sitting on the side of the road 200 miles from home.....is there a simple way to test this?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
from what i can tell it is moving....

Since your stuck stranded, lets just get it out of park and verify it will drive and steer, at least then you can get home. On the left side of the shifter is the shift cable. Can you remove that nut. If so then you can move the shift cable by hand to shift through each gear.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris