Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

I had the cylinder head rebuilt on a 2005 kia rio 1.6 and

Customer Question

I had the cylinder head rebuilt on a 2005 kia rio 1.6 and now I have no compression in any cylinder. I bleed out the pucks as some where solid. Still no help. I'm stumped. Worked on cars 20+ years and never had this happen.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: ya I can't afford a shop.
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: nope
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 8 months ago.

Hello, maybe I can help. What do you mean you bled out the pucks? When you re-installed the head did you see that all of the valves were closed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Ok so if you installed the head correctly with a new gasket and new bolts, there are only a couple things that could cause no compression. One would be that the lifters are shimmed wrong and so badly wrong that the valves are hanging open. The other is that the timing is off. Are you sure that the timing is on 100%?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Timing is dead on.

Is this the older body style or the newer? Is there a chain on the opposite side of the timing belt that drives the other cam or is there 2 cam gears on the timing belt side?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Don't know about body style. It is a base model. No chain only the belt.

Alright give me a minute to check into some things.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Okie dokie

Ok, I think this isn't possible if I remember correctly but just thinking maybe the cams are in the wrong position, make sure the cam with the I on the gear is on the left side of the engine and the E is on the right side of the engine. If they are in the correct place, I'd like you to do a wet compression test. If you still have no compression the only other option I see even though it sounds ridiculous is that there is either no head gasket, or the head is severely warped.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Wet compression. Put oil in the cylinder and try the test again. Correct?

Yes just a small amount. Do each cylinder and get back to me. Thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No change

So you have 0 compression on all cylinders? absolutely 0?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yup, the needle bounces between 0 and about 30 but that is it.

It doesn't stay at 30 after you stop cranking the engine over?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Nope it drops to zero which is weird cause I know the check valve in the tester works.

Well if it drops to 0 then something in the gauge isn't working. Try replacing the valve if you can. Have you tried to start the car?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
tried to start it. I tested the gauge on an engine that is working properly. The gauge functioned normally

If it jumps to 30 and drops back down to 0 it isn't functioning properly, it should stay at 30. Can you do a leak down test

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No, I haven't got a leak down tester. I will have to get one tomorrow. I tested the compression tester on the working engine after this first started doing this to me yesterday on this kia engine. It functioned normally on the other engine. The check valve may have a minimum pressure higher than 30 psi.

Ok