Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai

I have a 2005 Kia Amanti. The problem is the steering which

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Kia Amanti. The problem is the steering which when first starting is stiff and difficult to turn. After starting to move, the steering seems to feel normal. However, when decreasing the speed and turning at an intersection, the steering becomes stiff again. When stopping and starting up again, the steering again becomes stiff until acceleration is increased. What is causing the stiffness in the steering?
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 7 months ago.

Sounds like the pump is getting weak or it is low on fluid due to a leak. The leak could be inside the steering rack so you might not see any fluid on the ground. It gets easier because there is less resistance when driving as far as turning the wheel, as opposed to the car sitting still and trying to turn the wheels on the pavement when they aren't moving. I have seen quite a few steering racks go bad on Amantis. Not a ton of pumps but it is possible.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you