Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Power problem with Kia Sportage, Yes I sure can, it has a

Customer Question

hi ***** *****... Power problem with Kia Sportage
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes I sure can, it has a long history and it's driving me nuts It is a 2002 Kia Sportage with a 2.0L engine, looses power up hills, I have to gear down to 2nd gear and go up at about 50kms hr. changed plugs, fuel filter, has no catalytic converter. Just rebuilt the engine actually and it runs top notch with great compression, new air filter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Fuil pump
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Changed fuel pump also
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh ya... I also notice that at lower elevation it seems to have a bit more power, I am high up in the mountains. Still not normal at lower elevation but definitely seem to feel a difference
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, is the check engine light on and if so have you pulled any diagnostic codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi... Yes check engine is on.. Actually it is at a autoelectric mechanic right now. The O2 sensor is failing...I was reading online and no one seemed to say that the O2 sensor could be the fault of loss of power
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that it would be missfiring and not running goog, but that is not the case. It is running perfect, all cylinders firing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not expecting an improvement but gonna fix it anyways, but now sure thats why I am asking here
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

The O2 issue will likely fix your loss of power problem. It controls the air/fuel mixture. When it fails the computer uses default values which are not very good at high altitudes. When you are driving at lower altitudes the stored fuel map is closer to proper, hence it running better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh Really... Well did not find that answer online...Ok I am picking up the vehicle in a few hrs, sensor problems will be fixed... I will let you know what happens either way..thx
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, look forward to hearing from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so got the 02 sensor fixed and there was very little difference in power increase, however I definitely did feel some. Maybe 5%. However we discovered another problem. A sensor on top of the motor that has tubes going to it for air mixture. So on the sensor itself you can see that a nipple is clearly broken right off and no tube going to it, another tube is folded over so not working. I don't know what sensor it is and how the tubes go. Including photos for you to look at. I am assuming this works with the 02 sensor to balance the air/fuel mixture?? therefore still have not restored full power??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In the 1st pic you can see a black tube, right beside it is where the nipple is broken off, on the yellow part of the sensor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello? You still there? Says I can still ask you questions here
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

HEllo, sorry for the delay, In one ofthe pics it looks like it's the fuel pressure regulator, is this it at thelink below

http://www.new-part.com/product/new-fuel-pressure-regulator-genuine-0k08a-13280a-kia-sportage?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=258967&gclid=CIHfubn9yssCFdgDgQody0MM5w

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Nevermind I see you mentioned the yellow part. That looks to be the canister purge solenoid. I don't havea really good illustration of it. Let me open this back up to other experts so someone can confirm thisfor you for sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi...no worries.. I am just trying to fix this and an 8hr wait is just not working for me...lol... no that is not the part. It is a the sensor, black and yellow. The tube does a little loop in the shape of a U, Where it connects on the left side (looking at the photo) you can see a nipple is broken off at the bottom, you have to look close to see it. So I don't know what that sensor is and I don't know how the vacuum tubes should be hooked up. Are they vacuum tubes or air supply for the intake?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok great! thx man
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if it is a canister purge solenoid, what does it do? could that also have a part in my power loss? that is what I am trying to fix after all...
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service to you, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased with my assistance and will rate me Good or Excellent.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The previous tech has opted out.
  2. Would you like me to try and help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please

Do you know which codes are stored?

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris