Genchi Genbutsu
Genchi Genbutsu, Technician
Experience:  Toyota Certified Master Diagnostic Technician, ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Engine
17930070

Engine runs great but after running the transmission won't

Customer Question

Engine runs great but after running for awhile the transmission won't go ...after it cools down it will run again..the transmission nothing wrong with the engine
Category: Kia
Expert:  Genchi Genbutsu replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to help you with this concern today and am sorry to hear that this is happening. How many miles are on this Optima? Have you tried to make any repairs on this yet or visited a repair shop about it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
130000...had transmission oil changed

Thanks for the quick reply. I take it that servicing the transmission did not fix the concern, correct?

Are there any warning lights on or codes stored in the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Warning light comes on where problem occurs and turns off after it cools down awhile

Thats great! Do you know what code is stored?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No

The codes being stored would really help pin this down but if you happen to catch it, you will some codes for the transmission. The problem will be internal to the harness and can be repaired by a transmission shop or the Kia Dealer. Here is a quick video showing someone who repaired this concern themselves as it effected this specific transmission used on many KIA models. I would not recommend that you try this yourself unless you have performed a repair like this in the past.

Please take the time to rate my help (1-5 stars) and know that I strive to give Excellent Service!