Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

2004 KIA RIO STARTS UP GREAT ,WE YOU ACCERATE IT FLOODS OUT

Customer Question

2004 KIA RIO STARTS UP GREAT ,WE YOU ACCERATE IT FLOODS OUT AND CRANKS OVER FAST. LET SET FOR 1-2 MINUTES STARTS RIGHT UP AGAIN, SAME THING UNTIL IT GETS WARM , RUNS GREAT STARTS GREAT
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: COLD CRANK IT STARTS AND THEN SHUTS DOWN WHEN BRINGING BACK TO A IDLE. CRANKS OVER FAST AND SMELLS OF FUEL. IF YOU LEAVE IT SET FOR A MINUTE OR 2 CRANKS RIGHT UP AND DOES THE SAME THING. IF YOU LET IDLE UNTIL IT GETS WARM RUNS OUT GREAT.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: YES , NOBODY HAS FIGURES IT OUT
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: REPLACED THE CAM SHAFT,CRANK SHAFT SENSORS,MAP SENSOR,FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR,PLUGS,WIRES,COILS, THROTTLE POS. SENSOR.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: THAT SHOULD BE IT
JA: Our top Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In order to try and help you with this can you scan the computer system and see if there are any fault codes setting and also can you install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the actual fuel pressure when it seams to be flooding out. Normal fuel pressure should be right at 45 to 51 PSI. Check these things for me and let me know the results and I will try and help you get this figured out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
NO CODES FOUND IN THE COMPUTER, THEIR WERE A MISFIRE THAT I DELEATED ON #1 AND 3. THE FUEL PRESSURE IS AT 48 PSI AND STAYS THAT WHEN THE CAR DIES. THEN CRANKS VERY FAST AS IT IS FLOODED,LEFT SIT FOR 1-2 MINUTES STARTS RIGHT BACK UP AND WILL IDLE GREAT ACCERATE AND DIES, ONCE THIS IS WARM IT RUNS GOOD AND STARTS NO PROBLEM. AT ALL DRIVE IT ALL DAY, THIS ONLY HAPPENS WHEN COLD, I CANGED THE FUEL PREASURE SENSOR ALSO
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Can you tell me what year and model your Kia is and have you tried cleaning the MAF (mass air flow) sensor ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2004 kia rio already replaced the maf sensor,cam and crank shaft sensor. coil pack,wires, plugs, throttle position sensor,fuel pressure sensor.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay then if you scan it are you getting any fault codes to set?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no codes in the system
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Something sure dose not make sense here for sure, no codes, proper fuel pressure and yest you are saying your fuel fouling the sparks plugs when it will not start?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it is weird. This is only happening when cold. If I let it idle and get warm no problems. If I give it gas , it does reeve and then stalls, try to start it it turns over fast and smells of fuel. left it set for 1-2 minutes. starts right up but same thing until it gets warm.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

I been doing some digging and came across this service bulletin that may very likely apply. have a look and see what you think. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Hard%20start%20Mar%2013.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ill try that and see.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay, it may be the issues here. Nothing else is making much sense.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I replaced the computer and still has the same problem
Expert:  Ron replied 9 months ago.

Well something has to be being over looked here and I am out of ideas. I will open the post back up for you if you would like and maybe someone else has something different to offer.

Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, do you have NGK Kia spark plugs in the vehicle or did you put aftermarket plugs in it?