Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

I have a 2013 KIA Forte. After my last oil change 2 weeks

Customer Question

I have a 2013 KIA Forte. After my last oil change 2 weeks ago, I started hearing a knocking sound in my engine. My car only has 49,000 miles on it, so I took it to a KIA service center. They said my rods are going bad. I have had my oil changed routinely since I bought this vehicle and have never had a problem with oil leaking or any other issues. I was told that my FORTE model, has been known to have this problem. They are putting in a request to get it fixed, as it's still under warranty. But said, KIA doesn't like to fix them until there really bad. What are my options, I don't want to drive it until they go out, it will take my engine out. Also, because I have my oil changes done at Meinike, they want copies of all my oil changes. I feel like they are trying to avoid fixing my vehicle.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If they refuse to fix it now, how much does it cost to replace these rods, and will KIA re-imburse me if I pay for it now?
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 10 months ago.

When you brought the vehicle to Kia did they change the oil? There is a service bulletin about aftermarket oil filters (like one from meineke) causing engine noise, and usually when you replace the filter with a Kia one the noise disappears. You should try that first. Other than that, the dealer is just trying to cover themselves from having Kia refuse to pay for the engine if it does in fact need one. Have the shop that you change your oil at give you a vehicle history from all of the times they have changed your oil, it should be in their system. If they don't have it they can always write one up for you. Then call Kia customer service 1-***-***-**** (not the dealership) and tell them the situation. They will lean on the dealer and make them fix the vehicle. Do not pay for it yourself because it will be much harder to get reimbursed than to just get them to fix it.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.