Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various automobiles at a dealer and independently.
14928985

My issue is my right signal isn't working when you turn it

Customer Question

Hi my issue is my right signal isn't working when you turn it on it is causing the hazards light to come on what could be causing this
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's really about it the hazards only come on in the back not the front and the blinker in the front will freeze and stay on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Kia Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Check and make sure all the bulbs are the correct bulbs for your brake,park and turn signals.If these are all correct the most common cause for this fault here is a fault with the turn signal/multi function switch itself needing replaced.I have seen this switch fail in the past before needing replaced to correct this issue here.I would have this tested further to verify this is the cause here before having it replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We replace the switch you use for the signals still continued to do it
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Can you post here all that has been replaced or checked/tested for this issue?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The only thing that has been replaced is the switch you use for the signals
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,can you tell me the year and model of this vehicle here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2010 Kia Forte
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Koup sx koup
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,try tapping on the hazard relay when this occurs and see if the turn signal then operates properly or attempts to operate properly.If it does then this relay needs replaced.The relay is located in the ICM relay box as shown here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/udr7r3ad5pl0yum/re-03-07.gif?dl=0

If this does not work let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The hazards freeze when you try to use them
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,can you tap on this relay and see if they then operate properly or try and operate properly to see if this relay is the cause here.I have seen this relay fail before needing replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did tap on it they unfroze but when you use the right blinker it still causes the hazards to come on as well
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,this relay needs replaced.I would start with this as this should correct all the issues here.If this fixes part of the fault but not all of the issues then the hazard flasher needs replaced as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank Pete I will have the icm replaced would you happen to know the charge for this
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I dont have the part number for this relay and you should be able to replace it separate from the ICM in most cases and can obtain the relay part from a dealer.Usually I would say less then $20 for this relay.If the entire ICM does need replaced then you may be looking around $200 for it from a dealer.

Thanks Pete