Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Our van stalled today at a red light. It just quit. The

Customer Question

our van stalled today at a red light. It just quit. The engine would turn over and over but would not start. Sounded like it was backfiring through the carburator.
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The Kia Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I finally got it started and drove home. It has done it again when I took the trash off awhile ago. Sounds almost like it is not getting gas. I just filled up coming back from my errands.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Kia Mechanic should know about your Kia?
Customer: We had to jump it off the first time.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 9 months ago.

Hello, what model and year Kia is this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2005 kia sedona ex
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
comp codes ran p0455 and p0342

P0455 is just a code for a large evaporative emissions system leak, usually when the gas cap is loose or the gasket for it is not good any longer, nothing that would cause a stalling or hard start issue. The P0342 is a code relating to the camshaft position sensor. Most likely it is a bad sensor, but the wiring will need to be inspected to be sure. A faulty camshaft position sensor can cause the vehicle to not start because the computer uses the relationship between the camshaft sensor and the crankshaft sensor to determine where the engine is and when to fire the spark plugs/injectors. I would suggest first repairing the camshaft sensor issue and seeing if the problem happens again.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.