K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

The starter was replaced by a new one two months later the

Customer Question

The starter was replaced by a new one two months later the car don't start. Imy mechanic do something and start again but two months later and then 4 month later the same
JA: What year is your two?
Customer: 2006
JA: Nice car. The Kia Mechanic can help you with your '06 two. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: last time he told me something about a relay but now i'm don't trust him
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: well, it depends
JA: Are you ready to speak with the Kia Mechanic now?
Customer: this is going to cost me?
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, did the mechanic mention what he did? Was it a new or remnufactured starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it supposed to be a new one, but I don't know
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** of the remanufactured ones carry a lifetime warranty but also fail in the span of a few months is why I mentioned it.

He either may be replacing the failed unit or tightening loose connections. If the conections are loosening he needs to use the factory type locking washers (which often don't get put back on) or blue loctite.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are relay or fuse that can be replaced ? right now the car is full of battery but when I turn they key nothing happened
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

What model is you 2006 KIA? I'll pull the diagram for you on what to check

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 lx
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Is it a Rio, amanti, sedona etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Is A sedona., I tough I mentioned
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** a couple of fuses to check

Key SW #2 30 amp in the underhood fuse box

Start 7.5 amp Instrument panel fuse box

Also the start relay and burgler alarm relay (if equipped)

I'll post a wiring diagram below. Do you happen to have a test lgiht or volt meter available if it is not the fuses/relay to do some testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a tester but without battery so I think I will check this tomorrow during the day. How can test the relay?
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Easiest way to test the relay is swap it with the horn relay. I'll be around tommorrow if you need further help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome