Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician
84635724

Car can be jumped off and driven but battery is not

Customer Question

car can be jumped off and driven but battery is not recharging.....had the battery checked and was told that it was good and just needed charging...is the alternater putting out enough to run the engine and not recharge the battery or should I be looking somewhere else?
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Kia Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: was hoping to yes
JA: Is there anything else the Kia Mechanic should be aware of about your Kia?
Customer: not that I know of...it's my son's car recently acquired....no problem before this
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Kia Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Kia
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Hi im kevin do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

You will need to have voltage checked whilst engine running at battery to see if alternator is charging.from the sympthoms you describe i suspect alternator has failed

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
you are saying it's possible for the alternator to put out enough to run the car but not enough to charge the battery?
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

So if you jump start car it will run for as long as you dont turn it off. Is this what your saying?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Ok then in that case imwould disagree with battery condition test .i suspect your battery has a internal cell short where the plates inside corrode and touch causing intermittant battery fail .this doesmt normally show on a test .i would replace battery before going any further

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok...thanks
Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Please rate my service and let me know if you need anything else at all

Expert:  Kevin replied 9 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service