K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Asian Import Specialist, AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Im ***** ***** i have a 2009 kia sorento and my gh beams

Customer Question

im ***** ***** i have a 2009 kia sorento and my high beams only work when they want and same with the tail lights
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: when i put my high beams on the onlu work about 15% of the time my tail lights come on and off sometimes but my low beams and marker lights work all the time
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Kia Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does your sorento have the auto headlamp option?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have checked in cab fuse and it was fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you have some insight on what to look for
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** common things that cause this are a bad headlamp switch or bad relays. What you can do is swap out the tail lamp and high beam reelays with new ones or other ones such as the horn or ac to see if this resolves the issue, if it does you will know the relays are bad.

If swapping the relays does not resolve the problem the multifunction (headlight)switch will need to be replaced, which is a very common fault.

I'll post the relay locations below along with the headlamp switch prices and labor time. If it's something you would want to replace yourself I can provide that info as well.

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

and the switch prices/labor time

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i do all my own work but this is my grams car and new to working on a kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have put new balbs in and checked all the grounds. if i hit a hard bump they will work for a min or if i shut it off and restart the car sometimes i can get them to work
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

With them working after hitting a bump I would check the relays first. Here's the info on changing the switch, it's fairly easy. Just remember to disarm the air bag system by disconnecting the negative battery cble and waiting three minutes before working on the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks i will try the relays first but the switch replacement shouldnt be a problem for me i have done this on a tractor trailer truck lol how do i get in contact with u agin
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

You can bookmark this page in your web browser or go HERE and log in and then go to "my questions"

Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I was just wanting to follow up and see how things went.