Kiatech
Kiatech, Kia Master Technician
Experience:  30+ years experience,ASE certified,KIA certified Master Technician,Ford factory trained
32162675

My 2006 Sedona will not start sometimes. if left alone, it

Customer Question

my 2006 Sedona will not start sometimes. if left alone, it may start later. Sometimes just turning the key many times will start it. i have changed the battery to no avail. Everything else works perfectly, but turning the key won't start it. i looked this up on google and found numerous suggestions, but no single one seems to stand out.
Kia has looked at the car a few weeks ago and could find nothing wrong - of course it started every time for them!!! The car did not start twice in the last 2 days(finally started by later turning the key) It is now at the dealers to try to solve this problem, again!
Any suggestions so I can tell the dealer???
Category: Kia
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern

based on the symptoms you describe, it sounds like the starter is faulty.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The dealer determined that it is not the starter.

no they didn't actually. They couldn't recreate the problem. You said it started everytime for them! This does not mean that the starter is not the issue.

to really be able to diagnose it correctly the problem has to become more frequent. when it does happen some one hopefully will be able to be there with a volt meter to check for proper voltage signals at the starter. Then you will know for sure if its a starter issue or a relay or whatever.

From my experience I have replaced several starters on Sedonas, so they have failed before

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
They were lucky enough to duplicate the problem and checked the starter at that time and found it to be OK. So, it is definitely something else. I have found many "work -a-rounds" suggested on the internet that will enable the car to start when this occurs, but none that seemed to cure the problem forever.
So, I am looking for a final solution before I end up replacing items and costing hundreds of dollars.

I am a little confused especially after you wrote this in your original post:

"Kia has looked at the car a few weeks ago and could find nothing wrong - of course it started every time for them!!!"

there is no final solution to this issue unless you can duplicate the problem and diagnose it at the same time. I can give you things and voltages to look for when the problem occurs and then we will be able to come up with a solution.

let me look at the wiring schematic to see if I have any suggestions

there is a technical bulletin concerning intermittent no start conditions. The problem was a faulty anti-theft relay which is internal to the fuse panel.

Has anyone addressed this yet?