internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Import car specialist for over 10 years.
63512786

2005 Kia Sedona starting issues. Hear one click when turning

Customer Question

2005 Kia Sedona starting issues. Hear one click when turning ignition but do not hear starter engaging. Battery is about six months old. Would not respond to battery boost. Lights and dash indicators are strong.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: my daughter's van. she stated she had intermittent starting issues the last couple of days but now seems permanent. Engine sill not start. Just hears one click when she surns ignition. Not a series of clicks normally heard when the starter solenoid is engaging as in a weak battery. Just on click when turning the key. I am going to meet her and check wiring and fuses, clean the terminals on the battery, check relays, etc. cannot find info on referred on TSB procedure mentioned on site
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Kia Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  internal88 replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Brandon - Kia tech.

Most likely the starter unit is bad. The starter solenoid is one whole unit that needs to be replaced.

It looks to me the battery is good. Just make sure the battery terminals are super tight.

If all is true , then yes the starter is the problem.

Let me know if you have further questions. Please rate me Positive, thank you!