fix it man
fix it man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL
1627031

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage. When I start it and sometimes

Customer Question

I have a 2009 Kia Sportage. When I start it and sometimes when just sitting there with the vehicle on at idle it makes a grinding noise like when you start your car and you hold the key for too long and sometimes I can smell a burning smell when it happens. I changed the starter and the problem is still present. Any ideas? Problem is intermittent.
Category: Kia
Expert:  fix it man replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** for the question. Can you tell me if the engine vibrates when the noise occurs?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No the engine does not vibrate

Thank you. If the noise you are hearing sounds like the starter is trying to engage again then it is typically either a failing starter relay or ignition switch. Do any of the dash lights change when this occurs?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok well I put a new starter and relay in it and it still continues. What do you mean by do any of the dash lights change? If I replace the ignition switch and it continues can I message you again?

When I talk about the dash I mean do any of the warning lights turn on when the noise occurs?

And yes. We can continue however long it takes. Even after eating.