sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

, I have a problem with the rear break light:a) if the

Customer Question

Customer: hello there!
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a problem with the rear break light:a) if the low beams are off, the rear break light is never on (even if i press the pedal)b) if the low beams are on, the rear break light is always onBased on the info on http://www.justanswer.com/kia/6ewlx-kia-optima-lx-rear-brake-lights-stay-checked-lights.html#re.v/457/,I decided to disconnect the Stop Lamp Switch. However, that did not change a) and b) above.Should I still suspect the Stop Light Switch, or should I look for problems elsewhere?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Kia Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: i am willing to wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The brake lamp switch is a definite possibility for the brake lights not working but it may also be a blown fuse, the bulbs or a wiring issue.

Have you checked fuses?

What year is the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i checked all fuses already - they are all fine. I meant to mention this yesterday but could not since i was 'put on hold' before I could fully explain my issue.It is hard to imagine something is wrong with the bulbs since they are all ON when I turn the low/high beams on.If it is wiring - I need a more detailed and systematic instructions on how to approach it.And as I said, I've already disconnected the brake lamp switch, but the lights were still on (when the low/high beams are on). Are you saying that I should STILL definitely go ahead, purchase the switch and spend time changing it?

What you're seeing with the headlamps on are the park lamps rather than brake lamps.

No, I didn't say that the switch should be replaced without testing.

What is the year and model of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is a 2008 Kia Optima.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do

Is there power on the black wire at the brake switch?