Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

, I have a 2008 Kia Sorento the rear wiper will not

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 2008 Kia Sorento the rear wiper will not shut off. I have replace the wiper control and that did not fix it.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Kia Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Kia
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What else do you need, the wiper would not shut off, ran even when key was off. Replaced control module and did not fix problem
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question!

I’m a retired master technician and tech instructor, so I’m pretty sure I can provide you with the technical guidance needed to solve your issue. However, the malfunction you describe will require you to do some electrical troubleshooting. To do that you will need a multimeter and the skills to use it. Are you ready to begin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have meter available

OK. Can you check and see if you have voltage at the Yellow/Orange and Blue/Black wires coming out of the combination switch? If there is no voltage there, go ahead and disconnect the combination switch. Does the rear wiper shut off with combination switch disconnected?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is combo switch

The combination switch where you turn on the wipers is on the steering column.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7 v at blk yel & 5 at yel org
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wiper does not shut off with the switch disconnected

Thanks for that information. That means that either the wiper module has shorted inside and is now activating the rear wiper by itself without a signal from the switch, or the feed wires to the rear wiper are shorted to power. Last test before module replacement would be to disconnect it along with the switch. If the rear wipers are still on, then check the wiring for a short to power.

Best Regards.